Friday, 14 January 2011

Government Response to the "A14 Improvement" Request

Jill Tuck (the Conservative Leader of the County Council) has received the attached response to her original letter to the Government relating to the cancellation of the A14 upgrade scheme.

This attached PDF is an exact copy of the letter received. I've reproduced the original text below;

"Dear Jill,

Thank you for your letter for 11 November to Philip Hammond about the A14 improvements. I am replying as Minister responsible for strategic roads.

First of all I would like to reiterate that we recognise that congestion is a serious problem along this corridor and that we remain committed to developing a solution. I can reassure you that the Department has no intention of under-taking a CHUMMS style multi-modal study. We will though be looking again at opportunities to move more freight from road to rail.

I note you propose a joint task force, to be overseen by me. At this stage officials are still considering options for the study, and it would be premature to commit to a particular governance arrangement. However, I certainly expect local stakeholders to have a key role in whatever study arrangements are decided.

I hope to be in a position to confirm more details of the way forward in the near future.

I am assuming you will copy this reply to your colleagues.

Kind regards,
Mike Penning"
Needless to say it's disappointing that we will have to wait longer to see any firm proposals as to how the congestion on the A14 will be tackled but it is at least encouraging that the government appears to have ruled out another long (and costly!) multi-modal study.

Your local team will keep you updated as the situation develops.