Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Councillor Gives Up Shadow Cabinet Role For Career


Leading Liberal Democrat Councillor, Fiona Whelan, has stepped down from her role as Shadow Cabinet Member for Children and Adult Social Care to concentrate on her career.
 
She has been succeeded by Councillor, John Batchelor, who represents Linton and is a member of the Cambridgeshire Police Authority.
 
Cllr Whelan, who represents Hardwick, took the difficult decision to give up the role because she wants to return to her legal work.
 
She said: “I thought long and hard about giving up this role because there is so much work to be done in the area which deals with some of the most vulnerable members of our society.
 
“But it is also very demanding and I want to pick up my career. I am delighted that John has taken this portfolio and I know he will do an excellent job.”
 
Cllr Batchelor said: “Fiona has been an extremely valuable member of the Shadow Cabinet and her expertise will be missed.
 
“I feel privileged to be given the chance to take over knowing that I can always call on her wealth of knowledge in this field.
 
“Children and adult social care has been an easy target whenever the Tories have looked to save money and balance their books. There is much work to be done to protect these services which are vital to our communities.”