Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Gas Safety: Make Sure Your Bottle Doesn't Go Bang

Make sure your gas cylinder does not go boom this summer, Cambridge firefighters are warning residents.

As part of a month-long summer fire safety campaign, the crew from Cambridge Fire Station's Black Watch will be giving week-by-week seasonal safety advice to encourage residents in and around the city to stay fire safe.

This week, the crew is encouraging people using gas cylinders to be safe and store them sensibly.

Firefighter Nick Brown, Black Watch Cambridge, said: "Gas comes in a wide range of cylinders and cartridges and is used for a variety of leisure activities.

"Mostly, cylinders are used safely, however, occasionally people have been injured as a result of misuse or accidents with gas in cylinders. Please ensure you follow our advice and have a safe summer using gas."

The crew's top tips for gas safety:
  • Make sure the appliances that you attach to a cylinder are in good working order, that the fixings are secure, hoses are not damaged or perished, and that there are no leaks before use.
  • When an appliance is not in use, close the valve on the cylinder.
  • LPG (camping and barbecue gas) is heavier than air so may collect near the ground and can be ignited easily which may cause an explosion. Please ensure you use appliances in a well ventilated area.
  • Keep cylinders and gas cartridges away from direct sunlight.
  • Always dispose of your cylinders and cartridges in the recommended way. This should be written on it, if in doubt, ask at your local gas supplier.
Black Watch will be giving summer fire safety advice on Saturday, July 13, at Milton Summer Fayre, from 2.30pm until 4.30pm. The public can get advice, meet the firefighters that work in their community and see the equipment they use. The crew will be holding the same activities at Barton Village Day, on the Barton Recreation Ground, also on Saturday, from 2pm until 4pm.

The crew will also be visiting gas cylinder suppliers over the coming two weeks to ensure they are passing on crucial fire safety advice.