Thursday, 7 November 2013

Cambridge Businesses Join Firefighters' Campaign To Snuff Out Candle Fires

Candle-sellers in Cambridge have teamed up with Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service to ask people to snuff out the risk of fire in their homes.

Firefighters from Cambridge Black Watch have forged partnerships with local businesses including independent retailer At Home, located in The Grafton, to promote the safe use of candles ahead of Candle Safety Week, which runs November 18-24.

In the past four years, candles were the cause of 40 fires in Cambridgeshire and as the days grow darker and winter settles in, the Service is encouraging residents to follow simple precautions to enjoy the warm glow of candles.

Mark Hodges, Crew Commander at Cambridge Black Watch, said: "Candles are a typical sight in many homes, scenting our rooms and giving an atmospheric glow to cold winter nights. But it's important to remember that a candle is not just a decorative feature. Left unattended, an open flame scenting your home could leave a trail of devastation.

"At Home in The Grafton is one of a number of businesses in the city centre which are selling British Standard candles and who we have teamed up with to educate shoppers about candle safety so they can pass on our key fire safety messages when a candle is purchased.

"To prevent candle fires from starting in your home, you should make sure your candles are kept away from flammable materials like curtains and ensure they are put out when you leave the room, even for a moment."

Retailers will be handing out candle safety leaflets to anyone who purchases a candle and for more information, log on www.cambsfire.gov.uk.