Thursday, 14 November 2013

Snuff Out Fire Risk During Candle Safety Week

Firefighters are asking Cambridgeshire residents to snuff out the risk of fire in their homes during Candle Fire Safety Week (November 18 to 24).

In the past four years, candles were the cause of 40 fires in Cambridgeshire and as the days grow darker and winter settles in, the Service is encouraging residents to follow simple precautions to enjoy the warm glow of candles.

Dave Warren, Head of Community Prevention at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Candles are a typical sight in many homes, scenting our rooms and giving an atmospheric glow to cold winter nights. But it's important to remember that a candle is not just a decorative feature. Left unattended, an open flame scenting your home could leave a trail of devastation.

"To prevent candle fires from starting in your home, you should make sure your candles are kept away from flammable materials like curtains and ensure they are put out when you leave the room, even for a moment."

To help you enjoy candles safely, the Fire Kills campaign has offered some tips for this Candle Fire Safety Week:
  • Never leave lit candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they're out completely at night. 
  • Place candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children, and keep them away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books. 
  • Don't move candles once they are lit 
  • Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare 
  • Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents. 
  • Put candles out with a snuffer or a spoon - sparks can fly if you blow them out. 
  • Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquefy when heated to maximise fragrance.
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999. 
  • Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur - practise your escape route.