Saturday, 22 March 2014

South Cambs Lib Dems Elect New Leaders

Cllr Bridget Smith and Cllr John Williams
South Cambridgeshire Liberal Democrats have named Councillor Bridget Smith as their new leader.

Bridget Smith takes over from Sebastian Kindersley as group leader with John Williams becoming the new deputy leader.

Cllr Bridget Smith, who has represented Gamlingay on South Cambridgeshire District Council since 2008, was elected last night following Cllr Kindersley's decision to stand down as group leader at the end of his term.

Cllr Smith said: "It's been a privilege to work with Sebastian both within the group and in our division. He has led our group through challenging times and I'd like to thank him for his hard work over the last few years."

"This is a very interesting time for the District Council and I look forward to continuing his fight to ensure that this council makes the right decisions for all the people of South Cambs. Given the national challenges it's important that a strong liberal voice is reflected in local policy and I, and my team, will be working hard to ensure that is the case."

Cllr Kindersley said: "I've enjoyed my time leading the group and am looking forward to focusing on my work as County Councillor and Vice Chair of the County Council. I've known Bridget for many years and look forward to working with her in the future."