Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Michael Moore Speaks At The IPPR About UN Development Target

Michael Moore has discussed his decision to use his Private Member’s Bill to make it a legal requirement for the UK government to meet the UN’s target for development assistance every year.

The Liberal Democrats have had a long term commitment to the UN’s 0.7% aid target and this is the first UK government to reach it.


Following his speech at the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) on Monday, Michael Moore MP said:
“I am very pleased to have this opportunity to make good on a long-held Liberal Democrat commitment to enshrine in law, UK Government spending on International Development Assistance at the UN target of 0.7% of Gross National Income. 
“International Development is something I care strongly about because I believe we have a moral duty to help those who are less fortunate than ourselves. More than this, I believe that in this globalised world, it is in our own self-interest to tackle hunger, insecurity and inequality across the globe. 
“The Bill already has strong cross-party support and I look forward to continuing to work with colleagues in parliament and in DFID to secure a Bill that is effective and can pass through both Houses into law. 
“I want to thank IPPR for hosting my speech today and all the NGOs who attended and expressed their support for the Bill.”