Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Children's costume warning from fire service

Parents are being warned about the frightening fire risks of children's costumes this Halloween.

Fire crews across Cambridgeshire have been out in force talking to parents and carers about the flammable fire risks of fancy dress costumes, while also encouraging people to swap lit candles for LED lights in pumpkins.

The issue was highlighted last year when television presenter Claudia Winkleman's daughter was burned when her Halloween fancy dress costume accidentally caught fire.

Area Commander Rick Hylton, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "These fancy dress costumes are not covered by current children's clothing regulations and the safety standard for them can be as little as a 'keep away from fire' label. Like other fire services, we are backing calls for costumes to be covered by current children's clothing regulations but until this happens, we would advise people to check labels and keep children in costumes well away from ignition sources like tea light candles and cigarettes."

Our advice is:
  • Check the labels on any fancy dress outfits you buy and see what fire resistance they offer
  • Keep children away from any ignition sources - sparklers can burn at up to 2,000 degrees Celsius
  • Replace candles in pumpkins with battery powered candles - these are cheap, they do not blow out and they are much safer
  • Teach your child to STOP, DROP and ROLL in the event that their clothing does catch fire
AC Hylton added: "The design of costumes, often made with flowing robes or capes, means they can easily catch fire from a candle or flame and very quickly engulf a child in flames. Therefore we're issuing this advice to warn people so they and their families can enjoy themselves while staying safe."